A “hair-raising” death for a Chinese iPhone user

651 views Leave a comment

California-based smartphone maker Apple is currently investigating a case in China where a woman was reportedly killed after she was electrocuted by an iPhone 5 that was plugged into its charger.

Ma Ailun, a 23-year-old flight attendant at China Southern Airlines, was electrocuted when she picked up her smartphone to answer a call last week, according to the state-owned Xinhua news agency.

The investigation is still ongoing and police are not yet certain what really killed her. Nevertheless, Apple has expressed its condolences to the victim’s family.

“We are deeply saddened to learn of this tragic incident and offer our condolences to the Ma family. We will fully investigate and cooperate with authorities in this matter,” said the firm.

Netizens have also used social media sites to ask how the woman from the Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region was electrocuted while using a high-end phone.

“(I) hope that Apple Inc. can give us an explanation. I also hope that all of you will refrain from using your mobile devices while charging,” said Ma’s sister on China’s Twitter-like service known as Weibo.

The victim’s father said his daughter was definitely hurt by electricity as her body bore marks of electrocution.

However, Xinhua pointed out that smartphones use only a small amount of power, about three to five volts, which is not enough to kill someone.

RELATED ITEMS
Author Bio

Tech Guru

Passionate about the latest Technology. I enjoy traveling and Photography.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *